How to fix a Big Shot

July was such a busy month, I haven’t had a chance to make anything to post so I’m going to let you know how I fixed my Big Shot.

Last Fall when I was making all of those cards to showcase the Beautiful Blizzard bundle, my Big Shot broke.  It felt like my heart was being crushed.  Now, since I’m a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator and I hold classes I have two Big Shots.  *sigh*  It was still so sad that my original 10 year old Big Shot was now a glorified paperweight.  I didn’t want to get a new one but I often need at least two for classes.  So, I decided to see if I could fix it.  I mean, why not how could it get worse.

I found these two sites to walk me through it.

The links will tell you that the markings on the bearings inside your Big Shot are wrong and you need to get a 12 x 30 x 9 metal shielded bearing.  So I found a place on Ebay that had the specific bearings I needed.  I ordered 4 since they were cheap and waited a month for them to arrive.  It took me another month before I attempted the fix, and they didn’t fit.  😦  So it took another month for me to explain to the seller that these were not what I ordered including sending pictures before getting new parts shipped.  Then it took another month for those bearings to arrive.  In the meantime, I found this one on Amazon and ordered it. Yes!  I had my part in a week!  It was the wrong part!  *sigh*  They were great though and sent the replacement correct part immediately.

On a side note, I now have a pile of bearings if anyone needs an correct or incorrect one.  🙂

I will tell you that taking apart a Big Shot is not easy.  Those bottom screws are really tight and the plastic sides are hard to pop off when you are trying not to break them.

I was fortunate to have a spot where this could sit for a while as I waited for the correct bearing.


This is what a new bearing looks like put in place.  Notice the code 6200Z-12, the original Big Shot bearings are missing the -12.


This is what my old bearing looked like, I really crushed it!


The moral of the story is don’t use too many shims in your Big Shot, it could be that the die isn’t working properly.






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.